Visiting the Archives
The NSU Archives & Special Collections department is committed to equal, consistent access to manuscript material. While allowing research is our priority, the privacy of individuals and NSU employees and students must be respected. NSU Archival material is open to interested researchers, with restrictions dictated by the State of South Dakota’s records retention schedule. Other restrictions may be placed on archives material in order to preserve the document itself or to protect the privacy of NSU employees or students. These restrictions are at the discretion of the University Archivist. Access to Special Collections manuscript material is negotiated with the donor. These restrictions vary by collection. Any questions about Special Collections access should be addressed to the University Archivist.
NSU Archives & Special Collections invite interested researchers to use our manuscript collections, but with several caveats.
- All items must be used in the Williams Library reading room.
- All researchers will be asked to complete the Use Application and review and sign the Conditions of Use document provided by archives staff and this website. All researchers will be required to present a photo ID as part of this application process.
- All researchers must also review NSU guidelines for handling of manuscript material before access to collections will be granted.
- No material may be removed from the reading room without permission from University Archivist.
- Photocopies of manuscript material are available, and may be made at the researcher’s expense. Researchers may submit requests from off campus by completing the Photocopy Request Form. The University Archivist reserves the right to refuse any photocopy request deemed unclear or broad enough to require extensive staff research.
Suggestions when visiting the archives:
- Contact the Archivist ahead of your visit and explain the nature of your research and include any particular collections or boxes you are interested in viewing.
- Come with a completed usage application and conditions of use, and knowledge of the handling guidelines
- Have a photo ID with you.
- Bring pencil, paper, and/or laptops only. Bags and coats can be brought in due to inclimate weather but will be kept next to the Archives Assistant's desk.
- Bring cash or check to make and pay for any requested copies. Each copy is $0.10.
Loan/Borrow Items for Exhibit/Use
If you wish to borrow items from the archives, contact the Archives Assistant and explain the nature of the proposed loan.
On-campus loans require a Campus Loan Agreement to be filled out and signed in person. For on-campus loans, when possible, please give at least a week's notice.